Practical activities and resources for promoting understanding that:-
LIFE IS ABOUT BEING TRULY HAPPY.
Generally, we can:-
Encourage our children to embrace life with attitudes of positivity and cheerfulness and to enjoy life as it is – without denying that this is often a challenging task.
Aim to establish an active approach to life rather than a passive one.
Look for opportunities to foster cheerfulness, realistic optimism, positivity, enthusiasm, participation and courage.
Look for ways to show our children how to generate/create joyfulness.
Assist our children to increasingly take responsibility for their own life in an age appropriate way.
Over time encourage our children to understand that happiness is each individual’s responsibility and it is not up to their parents to keep them happy and entertained all the time.
- Encourage smiles.
- Encourage a sense of humour.
- Find time each day to focus on the positive things that are happening in our lives.
- Take time, as they grow, to patiently show them practical ways to take responsibility for personal possessions and organising their daily life.
Look for books, songs and movies about: Peace, Happiness, Well-being, Attitude, Resolve, Cheerfulness, Positivity, Responsibility.
Here are some suggestions:-
SONGS about Being Truly Happy
- “Don’t worry be happy” – Bobby McFerrin. Video
- “Happy Song” – Connie Talbot. Just to cheer you up. Video
- “Happiness runs in a circular motion” –Donovan Leitch. You can be happy if you let yourself be. Video
- “Beautiful World” – Connie Talbot. Written when she was seven! Video
- “What a wonderful world” – Louis Armstrong. Video
- “What a wonderful world” – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (also known as Iz). Said to be the best selling Hawaiian musician of all time. Video
- “Accentuate the Positive.” Written in 1944. You’ve got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, and don’t mess with Mister In-Between. Video
- “Three Little Birds” – Bob Marley. >> Video Or Connie Talbot’s very happy version. >> Video Smile with the rising sun.
- “Happiness” – Darky Roots. Happiness is where you find me. Video
- “Happy Now” – Toothfaeries. Be happy now. Sample
MOVIES about Being Happy
- “Yes Man” starring Jim Carrey –say YES to life!
STORIES AND BOOKS about Being Truly Happy.
- The Emperor and the Nightingale by Hans Christian Andersen -a story about the need to be free.
OTHER RESOURCES about Being Truly Happy.
- The Optimist’s Creed by the great Christian D. Larson: A practical positive affirmation. Available on the internet in many forms. There is a short and a longer version. Here are some sources to start with:-
>> Get the words, and also a rotating desktop background and screensaver, from Optimist International: Text/Screensaver
>> Video: Video