Practical activities and resources for promoting an understanding that:-
WE HAVE INNER STRENGTH
GENERALLY WE CAN:-
Assist our children to become aware of the idea that strength is a mental quality that we can all develop.
- Teach correct assertiveness skills. Click on link for an explanation of assertiveness >>> Assertiveness
Look for books, songs and movies about: Self-reliance, Self-control, Self-discipline, Courage, Confidence, Responsibility, Reliability, Character, Patience, Resilience, Fortitude.
Here are some suggestions:-
SONGS about Strength
- “If I Were Brave” -Jana Stanfield. Courage opens up life’s possibilities. Video
MOVIES about Strength
- “The Wizard of Oz” –Friendship, compassion, bravery and acceptance.
- “The Neverending Story” –the courage and inner strength of a young boy.
- “To Kill a Mockingbird” starring Gregory Peck: Compassion and courage in the face of the town’s rage.
- “The Lady” starring Michelle Yeoh: the story of Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma.
- “To Sir With Love” starring Sidney Poitier. A teacher shows adolescent school children that toughness is a mental quality.
STORIES AND BOOKS about Strength
- The Little Engine That Could. You don’t know what you can do until you try!
- Rowan of Rin by Emily Rodda. JF. A young shy boy turns out to have great courage. An adventure quest.
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. YA / Adult. Compassion and courage in the face of the town’s hostility and prejudice.